Parish · Est. 1965 · Santa Barbara, California
• 1936: San Roque began as an extension of the Old Mission Santa Barbara parish. Recognizing the rapid residential expansion of Santa Barbara's western tract (the former Dixie Thompson Ranch), Father Augustine Hobrecht purchased a full city block bounded by San Roque Road, Calle Piñon, Calle Alamo, and Calle Cedro. Ground was broken in August 1936 for San Roque School. • 1937: The initial building was completed, housing classrooms, living quarters for the Franciscan Sisters of Charity, and a small first-floor chapel for weekday and Sunday Masses. • 1948: As congregation numbers grew, the original chapel became too small. The parish purchased a surplus U.S. Army chapel from the former Hoff General Hospital (a World War II military hospital in Santa Barbara). Parishioners moved the structure to the property, stuccoed the exterior, and added a Spanish tile roof. Official Establishment & Modern Construction • 1953: Cardinal James Francis McIntyre, Archbishop of Los Angeles, officially designated San Roque as an independent canonical parish, carving its boundaries out of the Old Mission parish. Franciscan Father Jordon Donovan served as its first resident pastor. • 1962–1965: Under the leadership of Father Luke Powleson, the parish commissioned a new, permanent Spanish Colonial Revival-style church building. The first Sunday Mass in the new edifice was celebrated in 1962, and Cardinal McIntyre formally dedicated the completed sanctuary on March 14, 1965.
5:00 PM
9:00 AM · 9:30 AM · 5:00 PM
8:30 AM
4:30 PM
325 Argonne Circle
Santa Barbara, California, 93105
Phone: (805) 687-5215